2019 who is she!? Y’all this year just passed by at a full clip and I don’t know what to do with myself in this new decade. It’s day 2 of the new year and I figured it was time to share my goals for this new year!
We can’t move forward without reflecting on the past so first I want to review 2019 and celebrate some major wins!
1. Spend more quality time with my husband, especially outdoors–We did this 100%. We completed a phenomenal hiking trip through Austria’s Lake District! Once the weather is better we plan to do even more outdoor excursions, but most importantly we prioritized time with each other and that’s the huge win.
2. Take Boo on walks more regularly–Boo obviously joined us for said outdoor adventures! His walks have been hit or miss thanks to the weather, but we did put him on a diet and order a special nutrition panel for determining how he’s doing health wise. Keeping him in tip top shape is our goal.
3. Brush up on my French and spend more time in France– We did spend more time in France (Click here to see my travel blog post about bigger cities in Provence) and my French improved slightly. I will continue to practice with DuoLingo and try to retain my fluency!
4. Create a morning and night routine that includes time for stretching and skin care (and see if I can convince my husband to join in!)–I think this evolved into finding movement that I enjoyed. Which I’m happy to say we’ve built up a mini home gym and I can’t wait to keep using it and see the progress we make!
5. Spend more time in God’s word, either through a devotional or just by reading–This one we improved on, but we will keep striving to be better with it! I do feel closer to God and I am so grateful for the peace He has given me when it comes to struggles that are beyond my control.
1. Attend an in-person workshop–DONE! I attended a Dewdrops Photography Workshop (Click here to read my re-cap!)
2. Devote time to exploring other aspects of photography, specifically still life portraits–I never got around to playing but that is going to change in 2020
3. Dedicate time each day to writing, whether it be a blog post or putting time in with my book, I need to get pen to paper and write!– I’ve made time for blog posts and I’ve joined a writers group. I have so many book ideas bouncing around in my head…time to get those bad boys on paper!
4. Improve my social media and actually commit to posting regularly (not just instastories)–I’ve scheduled out all of January for Instagram. Can I get an AMEN!
5. Completely upgrade and overhaul my website and branding–SURPRISE!! In case you missed it, this whole website is brand spanking NEW!! I worked with a wonderfully talented designer who overhauled my brand and created the beauty you see before you!
This is the first time I’ve actually gone back and reflected on my goals and celebrated my wins! 2019 definitely brought me more clarity as I reflected on what I wanted our lives to look like. I love that I checked in and shared the progress on my goals, made them realistic and attainable, and now am actually celebrating how far I’ve come!
When I think of this New Year New Decade, I can’t even begin to fathom the next steps! I both love and hate the unknown. In 2019 I did some major self reflection and focused on healing the internal wounds I didn’t even realize I had. There was a lot of forgiveness, growth and empathy. That’s the healing energy I want to bring to 2020. Kindness first and the rest will follow! I also fought some major battles with my anxiety and almost went on medication.
While I ended up finding holistic ways to work through it, I am very grateful that I felt secure enough to share my struggles with my husband and his willingness to help me however he could. For those of your who also struggle with anxiety, know you are in my prayers and it does get better. So in that healing vein-let’s dive into 2020 goals!
1. Focus on health, both physical and mental. Ditch the “all or nothing” mindset and make time for movement-even if it’s only 10 minutes a day.
2. Cut down on STUFF. Clear out our home and take a hard look at what we carry with us. We have a move this year and I want it to be so streamlined! No packing up things we don’t need, use or want!
3. Continue to prioritize our family. Taking care of Ryan and Boo is at the heart of why I work so hard. I want to continue making them my priority!
1. Dedicate time to writing my book or even blog posts. Just get the writing DONE and worry about perfecting it later. (Possibly sign up for a creative writing class to provide structure until it becomes a habit!)
2. Focus on Longevity. My goal with my art is to have it stand the test of time, not just live on the internet. This year I’m focusing on helping my clients showcase their moments in their home or in an album. Create a streamlined process so everyone leaves BBP with a tangible family heirloom!
3. Devote time to exploring other aspects of photography, specifically still life portraits-While I didn’t get a chance to settle in and go for it last year, I am making creating works for myself a priority in 2020.
As you can see, 2020 has less goals than 2019 and that is because I’m leaving room for adjustments! This is my starting off point–I’ll be sure to check back in in a few months and share the updates!
I’m so curious, what are your goals or resolutions? And what did you learn in 2019? Please share in the comments!